Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kennebunk Race Report


Kennebunk Sprint Tri was on Sunday. Coming off a week of having an ear infection and on meds and almost no training. I was actually excited to race but a little worried given the sickness and not sure how my body would react.

The swim went well. I actually enjoyed the ocean swim and the waves and felt pretty good. Quick transition at T1 and out on the bike. The course was relatively flat and felt pretty good during most of the bike. My left elbow rest came loose again. I had fixed it Sat night but obviously not good enough. It didn't really effect me, just slightly annoying. Another quick transition at T2 and out on the run. The first mile was a little tough. That is to be expected as I haven't done many brick workouts this year. Started to settle in after that and finished strong.

The story on this race though was my perspective. I had a great day. I love the race atmosphere, enjoyed seeing all my tri friends, and had a great time racing. BUT, all that went out the window as soon as the results were posted. When I saw how slow I was and finished way out of any awards, my heart just sank. Now, I have no reason to feel this way. I have not trained up to standard this year at all. In fact, almost quit racing this year altogether. My drive home was rough. I actually cried, which for me is out of character. I'm the "no emotion" queen ya know.

I now have realized -(well I think I already knew)- that I am not the kind of person that can do anything half way. I either need to be a competitive triathlete and train like one or quit. One or the other, no in between. I don't know if this is what I needed to figure that out but looking back I am glad this happened. I have learned a lot about myself this season. Hope I can take this forward into next season and be ready to totally get it on ...

No comments: