Friday, May 29, 2009

Balancing Act

I remember sitting in the living at the age of 8, or maybe 9, listening to a man talk to my sister and I about the importance of positive thinking and setting goals. My mother had brought this man to the house, had him talk to us, then bought tapes for us to listen to and posters to hang on our bedroom walls, all to help encourage us. My parents "encouraged" us to always be our best. Give everything 100%, or more.

I am very thankful that my parents taught me that I could do many many things and be successful if I worked hard. Motivation and hard work, Think you can, You can do it, Never quit, and I could go on and on.

My parents never limited me. I attempted a variety of activities, some with better results than others. Swim team, diving team, weigh lifting, track, basketball, tennis, gymnastics, cheerleading, golf, rodeo, baton twirling, piano, marching band, concert band, jazz band. Did I miss anything?

This is all well and good; but if you are not careful you can collapse under the pressure. The expectations set, although maybe not intentional, can be so high that they are unattainable. This attitude has driven me to be very successful in my adult life. However, I continue to set the bar extremely high for myself and many times falter under the pressure. It is a balancing act ... and for those who know me, know that I don't always have the best balance...

No comments: