Friday, November 13, 2009

Planning 2010

So after reading Mary’s post I realized it was time for me to look at 2010 too. I had some time on my flight from Portland to Houston so figured no better time than the present. What will my race schedule be? Which races will be my A races and which ones will I just be training through? What are my goals for the year? Is there a distance I want to PR? Is there one discipline that I want to really focus on? These questions would be easier to answer if I didn’t have an Ironman in the middle of my season. Ironman.

I don’t have a lot of time before my IM to participate in any other triathlons. The Mooseman is too close to my race which leaves me no choices unless I want to pick one that I have to travel to. I think this IM thing is expensive enough so I think I’ll pass on that option. And since I have no idea how I will feel after my IM, it’s tough to think about the rest of the season. I’m hoping that taking the month of July to recover will do the trick and I can enjoy the rest of the triathlon season in August and September. Those are the best months to race anyway! With all this in mind, this is what I‘m thinking about for 2010:


Mid Winter Classic 10-miler
New Bedford Half Marathon or the Hyannis Half Marathon
Polar Bear Tri
Ironman CDA
Kennebunk Tri
Lobsterman Tri
Colby Tri
Maine Marathon

Obviously, IM CDA is my A race, my main focus, my entire life basically from Jan to Jun. I would like to make a good showing at the Mid Winter Classic. I would also like to really throw down at the Maine Marathon. I love that race and I love the course. The last time I ran the Maine Marathon was in 2004 when I clocked my 3:31 PR. I would like to try to PR again and make a great showing at home! The other late season triathlons, well, I just want to have some fun. I know me and I will probably jump into some other road races here and there, but not many. My weekends will be taken up with lots and lots of biking and running. Wow, this IM thing certainly is going to be an adventure... and boy am I looking forward to it.

The other thing I do is start thinking about the things I’m going to need! Yes, more purchases of triathlon stuff. The list looks something like this: 1) A new pair of bike shoes. I have been wearing the same bike shoes for 5 years. They are beyond worn out. 2) An aero helmet. Yes, I have finally decided I need an aero helmet. I know they are more for the really fast folks, but I want one anyway. 3) Hammer. Not a hammer from the hardware store. Hammer products, a lot of hammer products. I need to stock up on gel and heed and sustained energy and recoverite and electrolytes. 4) New racing flats. This will probably also require a new pair of yanks. Matching my yanks to my flats is a necessity for me. Yes, another one of my quirks. 5) Two or three new pairs of running shoes. 6) Two new pairs of bike shorts. 7) A new racing outfit since my team is no longer. That should do it. Actually, that isn’t too bad. At least there are no big purchases this year like a new bike or a new wetsuit.

Here’s looking at a great 2010 season.

1 comment:

Ange said...

Looks like a great plan. Yes, IM is now your life. heeheee. You'll love it though. Just wait and see...you'll feel invincible. It's cool.
And your team colors and tri kit are gone but the TEAM is still here. We'll all be back.