Thursday, March 17, 2011

Good news, bad news

Good news, bad news. Bad news is always better to take if you have some good to go with it.

The first good news is that I successfully registered for the Beach to Beacon 10K. I was up early Tuesday morning, got all ready for work, set up my laptop and poured a full cup of coffee. I sat down at 6:55 and was prepared to be sitting there for at least 30 minutes like last year. Surprisingly, at 7am sharp I hit the register now button and by 7:03 I was in. Whew!

The second good news is that they drew my name in the lottery for the Mt Washington Road Race. This will be my second trek up the mountain and I am hoping to run much better than the first time. I have been incorporating many hills in my long runs already getting ready for the Sugarloaf marathon, so I just need to add some weekly hill repeats into the schedule from here on out.

The bad news is I went to OA this week to have my shoulder checked out. As I feared, I have a rotator cuff impingement. There will be no swimming for me for at least 6 weeks. There will be no Polar Bear Tri and no Peaks to Portland. I will just have to see how things go before I even think about signing up for any late season triathlons.

I’m being very positive about all this though. I’ve wanted to improve my running so this might just be my chance. With the extra time I have, I can really focus on just running. I should also have time to incorporate some strength work and maybe even some yoga to help with my flexibility. I would love to get back into the shape I was at the end of ’07 when I was setting PRs right and left…. And now I have the opportunity.

No comments: