Sunday, March 6, 2011

Roll with it ...

If it's one thing I've learned from racing and training, it's you just have to roll with it. Whatever "it" is. Take it as it comes and make changes on the fly!

I've had to amend my race schedule for a few reasons. First race off the list was the MidWinter Classic. I waited too long to register and it had reached it's cap. Of course, that doesn't really matter anymore since the race never actually took place. The second race off my list was the Black Fly Tri weekend. My folks announced they are coming to visit so I can't really take off to race the whole weekend, can I? I have the Beach to Beacon on my list, but it is still TBD if I actually get in. I'll be disappointed if I don't.

My Peaks to Portland entry is now in question as well. About 6 weeks ago I started feeling something in my left shoulder. Pain at the bottom of my deltoid when I try to extend my arm. Every time I swim it aches. I have an appointment at OA to get it checked and am afraid to sign up for P2P until I know what's wrong.

I added the Polar Bear Triathlon to the schedule. And, last week I put my name in the lottery for the Mt Washington Road Race. I'll find out in a few weeks if I get in.

I should have the answer to all three races in question by months end, so stay tuned.

Here are a few things that I have been reminded of lately ...

1. Don't wear worn out shoes. I almost pushed it too long this time!
2. Stretching and rolling are essential. Period.
3. Eat. If you don't fuel you feel like shit during your workout.
4. Recovery. Recovery days and recovery nutrition.
5. You really don't get fat overnight. I swear I feel like it some days though!!

Why do I have to remind myself of these things over and over?


Next up, New Bedford Half Marathon.

No comments: